Tuesday, July 27, 2010

5 weeks later...

"There is a time for departure even when there is no certain place to go." -Tennessee Williams

I made a promise that I wouldn't let this blog fall to the side and I would keep everyone updated as time went on...........

...oops.

So many things have happened in the past 5 weeks that I don't even know where to start. I had an amazing group of counselors working in my unit, a wonderful set of campers to look after, made friends with people from every corner of the earth, and had learning experiences that will last me a lifetime. But as much as I love Camp Harlam and all the people there, the job wasn't what I wanted it to be. My role was to supervise the counselors, be in contact with parents, report to the directors, oversee the nuts and bolts of the unit...but when all that was done, I had neither the time or the energy to connect with the kids. The kids are why I go back to camp, and I wasn't making the impact on their lives that I wanted to and I missed having that. I asked for a change in position, and as it became increasingly apparent that there was no other role in camp available to me, I decided the best thing was to leave and get a head start on my new job in Boston.

So here I am, sitting on a friend's couch outside of the city. I can't move into my new place until this weekend, so until then I am relying on the mercy and kindness of my friends. I will be all over the state os Massachusetts, from Brookline to Amherst to Worcester, before finally settling in Brighton. I met one of my new roommates today, and we get along great. I stopped by the temple to say hi to everyone, and they were so excited that I am able to start almost a month sooner than originally thought.

Leaving camp was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, but it is seeming more and more that I made the right choice. I am glad to be in a new city with new adventures ahead of me, and better internet service to keep my readers more up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment