Friday, June 11, 2010

Packing Day

"Its a dangerous business going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." - The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien


Today is my last full day in Raleigh, NC. I have been here for 6 years now, doing a combination of school and youth work. There are many things I'm going to miss about this place...southern hospitality, great weather, friends, family, sweet tea...and the list goes on. I've said my goodbyes, I've packed up my things, and I got a friend to move into my room so I could get out of my lease.

Tomorrow I leave for a road trip with a friend to South Jersey, and the day after I arrive at URJ Camp Harlam in Kunkletown, PA. I am spending the summer as the Unit Head for Carmel, which is composed of 3rd and 4th graders. I am looking forward to returning to the Jewish camp scene and ending my 2-year hiatus from what had been the norm for 6 consecutive summers. This will be my first time at Harlam as well as my first time in a supervisor position, so there is a lot to be both excited and nervous about. I will be at camp until the last week of August, when I will be moving to Boston to begin my new job as a professional Jewish youth worker and teen educator.

As I enter into the "real world," my adventures will continually be updated here. Tomorrow I take my first of many steps into the unknown wilderness that will become the rest of my life.

-Ben


1 comment:

  1. I am envious reading parts of that, because I wish I could be as genuinely passionate about something as you are. Best of luck to you Ben.

    ReplyDelete